Tuesday

School decor 101

8.12.14- 


  To say I love this time of year would be an understatement.  I'm reminded of a line from one of my favorite movies, You've Got Mail, when Tom Hanks' character, Joe Fox, is writing to Meg Ryan's character, Kathleen Kelly & he asks, "Don't you just love New York in the Fall?  It makes me want to buy school supplies.  If I knew you I would bring you a bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils."  



Maybe it's the teacher in me 
{I graduated with a Secondary Ed. Teaching Degree} 
but I have always loved anything school related.  Especially this time of year.  There is such an excitement in the air.  I like to bring those feelings to life in the decor that I decorate our home with for the months of August & September.  I try to hone in on my educational background to supply the inspiration & of coarse the boxes & bins of vintage school supplies I have collected & acquired over the years.  

Time to get out your pens & paper because I'm about to give you a few pointers when it comes to decorating.  

Part 1 of todays lessonHave a theme.  Know what you want to accomplish in your space.  Have a plan going into it.  It always helps.  That can be a color theme or a subject matter but always have a theme.  

Part 2:  When you decorate your home, for whatever reason or season, use what inspires you & in turn it will inspire those around you.  Makes sense doesn't it?  Don't try to be or have your home look like something you're not.  Find what you're passionate about & go for it, whatever it is.  For me, since we're talking about Back to School themed decor, it's anything ABC's, 123's, bright colored, vintage packaged or classroom inspired just about anything.  For you it could be something entirely different.  If you are excited about what you are showing off it will be a creative & fun process for you, I promise! I'm going to show you three spaces in our home that always inspires me that I infuse with lots of color & good "stuff"

1-Our downstairs mantle 
2-The vintage bullentin board case
3- Our mudroom 

The mantle is the perfect spot because of it's mustard color.  When we built our home I wanted this space to stand out & it sure does, I love it!  

The base for the mantle set up this year {I like to always change up where & how my decor is set up each year} was the vintage school green chalkboard I bought at a flea market earlier this year.  It fit perfectly within the framework of the mantle woodwork,  couldn't have planned it more perfect.  Then I just started to stack, cluster & group anything school related that was bright & colorful.  

*One of my decorating tips- Vintage records!  I have too many to count, I love them.  I look for ones that have awesome artwork or pictures on the cover.  Instant, easy decor that you can usually find for $1 or so.  


This vintage glass school case has been such a great place to decorate. I feel like a teacher, setting up my space, every time I put anything in here.  



In the Fall this gets filled with pictures, vintage flashcards & anything that resonates that Back to School time is here.  I put everything up with low adhesive tape so it can easily be taken down & nothing gets ruined.  



One of my favorite features about this glass display case is that it has a working lock & key.  Precious stuff to display in there & not just anyone is able to up things up, organize & set up the display case.  Makes me feel important! Haha. 

Our mudroom is central station in our home.  It's the last place the girls see when they leave for school in the morning & the first place they see when they get home from in the afternoon. 

I always try to make this a cheerful, bright spot with lots of positive energy going on.  The black shelf always gets stuffed with this & that. When you have a large collection of stuff it can easily all go together because it ties into the same theme- SCHooL! Remember... yesterday's lesson 1- Have a theme & 2- Use what you have
 {Notice another record cover up there}  
Of coarse some brightly, homemade simple garlands always make it a happy place to be too. 


The frame marquee shows off the whole alphabet & my love for letters of all shapes & sizes.  Hope this has been helpful & has inspired you to decorate a few spots in your home for Back to School time. 



Tomorrow School Decor 201- Keep It Simple. You can really make a big decorating statement, in your home, using only a few things that you collect or have on hand.  You're dismissed for the day, see you tomorrow same time same place.  
-P.S.  I'd love to hear from you-  

{M} 

No comments: