Monday

Saying hello & answering some questions

11.21.16-



Hello, friends!  It's been a while to say the least, not even sure if there are any of you out there that still follow along {If so I'd love to hear from you, leave a comment & say hi!}  Just finished up another successful, busy & fabulous Hive this weekend.  I've been thinking about some questions that I was asked several times by my clients, new shoppers & friends.  It's been on my mind & I wanted to get down to the bottom of it so I could answer correctly.  
-A few of my favorite things I created for The Holiday Hive this year. Glad they all went off to new homes- 
During the show I was asked a couple of questions that I thought I better answer.  

#1-  "How long have you been doing The Hive?"  I would always think, guess & then say maybe 5-6 years, I wasn't quite sure.  So I came to the blog to get the for sure answer.   {Glad I was better about updating this back in the early days of my business so I can look back, remember & smile at all that has been done & what has grown over the years.}  I had to go back waaaaaaaay to February 2010 to find my answer & pictures of the very 1st ever Hive.  I have always done shows of just my H&H things but the 1st ever invite other creative friends, 3 vendors to be exact,  to sell along with me came in 2010.  So The Hive is going on almost 7 years.  Think I better come up with a fun little celebration for it in 2017, don't you think?  It's also the anniversary for this blog of mine, too. Definitely need to celebrate some how. 


- Enjoyed looking at this spot for 3 days.  Of coarse some of my H&H board signs, loved my friend Janet's awesome snowflakes, the AmAZiNG floral displays that 3Dotters brought {I had to keep this one for me!}  & the fabulous rustic stars my Dad made.  Loved how it looked tucked into my vintage pop crate with bags of yummy candy. -
Fun to be asked this question so much this weekend & get to have my very good friend {best supporter of H&H from day 1}  Nicolle here to help me cashier all the way from Boise, Idaho.  It was neat to look back at my blog post about the 1st Hive & find a picture of her & I those 6 years ago.

-I think we look good even 7 years later!-
Glad The Hive began all those years ago & the opportunity I've had to host it over the years.  Amazing to see how it has grown & what it has become today.  For all the many vendors who have participated over the years {maybe that's my next thing is to go back & look at everyone that has come over the years}  & for the many, many sweet friends & associations I've been able to gain over the years through hosting this event 3 times a year.  

Question #2-  "How did you do that?" "Did you make those?"  "Where did you get them, I love it!" 
My garlands!!  If you know me, read the blog, follow me on Instagram or have been to a Hive you know that I like to decorate & make it a real event to come too.  Garlands are a fun, easy way to decorate & make a big statement.  I always put them up above my island & out front under The Hive sign to welcome everyone to the show.  
-Always excited to see what this area looks like all set up for The Hive every time. Always different & unique for each show.-
I wanted to create a mini Winter Wonderland this time around for The Holiday Hive so I came up with some garlands to put together & hang up.  So easy to make but I do have a few pointers & info.!  

Balloon Garland- Ok, I LOVE this!  When I saw it posted on the Instagram feed, @ohhappyday I fell head over heels.  What's a party without balloons & garlands- put them together & GENIUS!!  

I got on their website & purchased a pack. {The balloons I got were the 6 inch size} Each balloon has a little tail on the other end so you actually link/tie them together to create the garland.  
- I tied little yarn tassels to the ends for a little bit more charm & effect, like this garland needed it but I thought it looked cute!
You can purchase them here- http://shop.ohhappyday.com/search?type=product&q=quicklink

The rest were easy DIY garlands, these really made me feel like a kid again. Like I was back in elementary school during art time.  I had a blast making them! 

Silver Pipe cleaner Garland- Buy a pack of pipe cleaners, any color.  For the smaller chain, I cut the pipe cleaners in half & simply formed a loop & twisted the ends.  The larger chain was just a normal sized pipe cleaner. 

Marshmallow Garland- So fun, a little sticky but would I do it all again, absolutely!  If I made more, which I'm sure I will, I would let them sit out longer for sure before I even attempted to stitch them together.  Open up a bag of big marshmallows, spread them out on a sheet cake pan, let sit for at least 4-5 days {the 1st attempt I did on the 2nd day still way too sticky!} get a long strong needle, thread a strong twine through it {make sure needle has a big enough eye} & simply start threading through the marshmallow.  Might be a little gooey inside even though the marshmallow shell is tough,  if too sticky wait another day or two.  

Pom Pom Garland- Had a pom pom maker so I just put my girls to work as they sat & watched TV a few times.  They enjoyed making them & I enjoyed tying them together on a string of sparkly bakers twine. 
So glad I was asked the question & spent some time today researching, finding the answer & going through old blog posts, walking down memory lane & being inspired along the way too.  

Paper Chain- You can't go wrong with this stand by.  Classic & timeless, not to mention super simple to do!  

Wishing you all the happiest of Holidays ahead.   Hope to take the time to get on here to chat & share with you more often.  It's just so gosh darn easy to just share things on my phone but I really do miss this form of communication.  I'll try to do better. 

{M}    

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. Please keep posting!

Honeybee said...

Thanks anonymous- Your comment just made my evening. Yay, someone read this! Thanks again!!

Unknown said...

I still read your blog! I feel like blogging is ancient history now. I still keep my blog updated and print it off at the end of each year and use it as my journal. One of these days I WiLL make it to the Hive.

Honeybee said...

Ahhhhh..... Thanks Jenny!! How do you print it off? I'd love to know.

Unknown said...

I'm still reading! I just started doing a market of my own this summer so I always love to look at your Hive photos and get inspiration. In-home boutiques/markets are not really a 'thing' here in Denver, so I'm trying to get people used to the idea! One of these days I'll be visiting Utah on the same weekend as your Hive and I can come say hello in person! ;)

Heidi
The Merry Magpie Vintage

Honeybee said...

Thanks Heidi! Funny, that I feel like I already know you. Would LOVE to meet my vintage loving friend too one day, that would be so fun. Good Luck with things in your neck of the woods, it takes time to build up but I'm sure you can do it.